Evernym is the creator of the open source Sovrin project, that has been folded into the Hyperledger Foundation under the project Hyperledger Indy. Evernym is an advocate of the online identity architecture becoming known as "Self Sovereign Identity". This paper explains the differences between Central Identity, Federated Identity, User Centric Identity, and Self Sovereign Identity: http://www.lifewithalacrity.com/2016/04/the-path-to-self-soverereign-identity.html (the references attached to this article are a wealth of research into Identity)
The 10 principles of self-sovereign Identity: https://github.com/ChristopherA/self-sovereign-identity/blob/master/ThePathToSelf-SovereignIdentity.md
Project white papers: Whitepapers
Example use cases here: https://sovrin.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/How-Sovrin-Works.pdf
Animated GIF showing how a sovran identity is created and utilized: http://www.windley.com/archives/2016/10/Sovrin-Animation.gif
Sovrin is the public utility permissioned blockchain that has launched it's first phase, they are calling it the Provisional Trust Framework. This is the stage the network is undergoing hardening and testing before general availability. Because it is a permissioned network, organizations can apply to be a "Steward" and operate a node on the network that will secure the blockchain. The list of current stewards can be found here: https://sovrin.org/stewards/. Learn about becoming a steward here: https://sovrin.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Becoming-a-Sovrin-Steward.pdf
An important concept in Sovran is that of an "Agent", from their technical overview paper: "Agencies are service providers that help Jane manage her identity. You can think of them as analogous to Internet Service Providers. They are substitutable for one another and Jane can choose a new agency without losing any of her identifiers, attributes, proofs, or claims. "
Summary excerpt from project home page
With Sovrin, trust is established using verifiable claims. Verifiable claims open a limitless new world of trusted authentication. Paperlessly, passively – instantly.
A verifiable claim is exactly what it sounds like: a claim shared by any person, organization, or thing that can be instantly verified by the receiving party.
1) The post office issues a verifiable claim to Alice attesting that her street address is 123 Main Street.
2) Alice shares this claim with her credit union as part of opening a new account.
3) Without having any connection to or interaction with the post office, the credit union instantly and cryptographically verifies that Alice’s claim is signed by the post office and has not been revoked.
4) Alice now owns this proof-of-address claim and can use it anywhere she wants, as much as she wants, and now the credit union can trust that Alice’s address is 123 Main Street.
Advantages over hub-and-spoke model:
1) Not restricted to specific data types, mechanisms, or contracts imposed by a central hub, anyone can present identity information of any type to anyone else in the world, and the recipient can unpack and verify it instantly, with no need for hundreds of complex APIs and commercial contracts.
2) Verifiable claims, along with all private data, are stored off-ledger by each self-sovereign identity owner, wherever the owner decides. No private information is ever stored on the ledger, in any form.
3) The combination of self-sovereign identity and verifiable claims enables highly advanced privacy-enhancing techniques, such as zero-knowledge proofs (for selective disclosure) and anonymous revocation, to be made available to the world.
Partners and In the News:
Partner with CU Ledger, a permissioned ledger and identity system being built by a consortium of Credit Unions. http://culedger.com